Bryce
Rothenberg
FASTER!
Horwitz’s article about ‘Eating on the Edge” illustrated how food, has
become "an additive to a situation, such as a cigarette would be, rather
than being definitive"(Horwitz 1). This idea of eating food or
having a meal becoming more of task than a leisurely social activity has
resonated with me much more ever since coming to college. Due to how busy I am,
I have noticed that I tend to eat much more food on the go and my appreciation
for the food that I eat has decreased drastically due to it becoming a more
individual experience. This idea is not only shared by me, "In the US,
unstructured eating patterns have become more common, while taking time to
share food with others is becoming less familiar"(Horwitz 4), many
restaurants have now begun to implement fast-service food ideas to the layout
of their store, to the way that the store is run, allowing people to get their
food efficiently, use their food as a utility if needed, yet also allows them
the ability to relax and eat with friends. Both Chipotle and Illegal Pete’s are
Mexican grills that service mostly college students, and in my opinion because
of the proximity to the University of Denver and the youthful, fast moving
culture, the unique efficient layout of each restaurant allows many different
people to eat their meals in many different ways. What I mean when I say the
restaurant “allows many different people to eat many different ways” is that no
matter how a person wants to treat their specific meal at Pete’s or Chipotle
that day, either getting it to go and eating it in class or at work, while on
the go, sitting alone studying in the restaurant, conversing with your friends
sitting at a table, ect., the point I am trying to make is that the
accessibility and or utility of the food being produced at these restaurants is
absurdly versatile. This culture that we
live in has transformed the meaning of a meal from something that use to be
shared with your friends and family, to a means, a utility, that facilitates an
ends, being full.
Coming to college I knew that some things would change drastically but I
never thought that my appreciation for food or a meal would diminish so
substantially. Being on the crimson meal plan, I am not allowed to enter the
cafeteria before 11 o’clock in the morning, yet after 11 and until 7 o’clock at
night I am allowed to get as much food as I want as many times as I want. This
being said, my eating patterns and my appreciation for a specific meals such as
breakfast, lunch, or dinner have diminished drastically due to my inability to
fully experience or indulge in a specific meal. Due to this change in my eating
patterns, I have noticed that I tend to eat much more food on the go and my
appreciation for the food that I eat has changed from something I used to
completely and utterly love, into a utility. For me this change is
something I have come to accept due to the situation that I have been placed
in, and the priorities that I have established for myself have put my academics
and or my personal success above my enjoyment of specific meals. Don’t get me
wrong, I definitely sit down and enjoy my meals every once in a while, but food
itself, at this point in time, has become a utility that is essential to my
survival and nothing more.
Although this food culture
is changing, into a faster paced, efficiently based system, the nice sit down
family and friend meals that once were so popular are still present, yet fading
into the background. This transition between sitting down and having a meal
with your family or friends, to grabbing food on the go, has not only made food
a utility, but has changed our culture into a more individualistic society that
doesn’t value relationships like they use to. With the introduction of the
television as well as the computer our society has changed drastically. While
this transition was taking place technologically and culturally, the food
industry recognized this significant culture shirt, also known as the
“efficiency boom”, and began to make products that suited this emerging
generation of fast American youth.
Since the invention of the
“TV tray”, the food industry has tailored their products for efficiency and
utility, moving farther and farther away from the sit down family meal that use
to be the American culture. With the food industry encouraging and advertising,
efficient easily accessible meals, the American culture and especially the U.S.
youth are being pushed to accept and conform to this fast paced (efficient)
utility driven meaning of food. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that the
food industry is the reason that Western culture is defined the way it is, what
I’m trying to say is that the technological revolution that we are experiencing
now, and have been for the past 20 plus years, caused a serious cultural shift,
which the food industry recognized and began to cater to. Since the 90’s and
the “efficiency boom” (technological revolution), Western culture has become a
goal oriented, fast paced, future driven society, much more involved in
personal success and business than relationships and leisure. Now as time
progresses we are beginning to see restaurants around densely youth populated
areas, such as colleges, becoming more fast-service food oriented, rather than
sit down, order at the table restaurants, that became so popular in the late 20th
century.
Being
a college student, and living around a college campus allows me to realize the
different fast paced culture of the youth, where utility and efficiency are characteristics
most sought after. Restaurants who set up shop close to campus have been forced
to integrate fast-service food into their layout and management of the store
because of the growing demand for fast quality food. “Often, the bottlenecks in service are due to the restaurant’s overall
design and setup. ‘Many operations that I have consulted with made all of their
mistakes in the design phase,’ Kharasch says. ‘They did not think through every
step an employee has to make to get the food out and they did not think about
where a guest stands when waiting to order food, or how many registers they may
need if the sales are above expectations’”(Brox, Fast Food Fast). For Pete’s I
feel that this fast-service food idea was absolutely implemented into the
layout of the restaurant, due to the placement of the menu in comparison to
where the customers line up, to how checkout and or ordering process goes, Pete’s
was tailored for efficiency and the “on the go” college student.
These
“on the go” college students have forced the restaurants surrounding the
University of Denver to transform how their food is utilized and appreciated.
What I have noticed personally is that these restaurants have changed their
layout and or style to accommodate the fast paced youth culture, yet these
restaurants have not compromised their ingredients or finished product to allow
this service to be faster. Although the food culture maybe changing into an on
the go, fast paced system, the integrity of the food and freshness of the
ingredients will always be cherished by the provider and the consumer.
People
have become so custom to eating on the go, and because of this, when people are
not able to get something quickly and efficiently they will more likely than
not to skip the meal than take the time out of their day to sit down and enjoy
the meal. In Europe this idea of grabbing a meal to eat while on the go or even
skipping a meal is almost unheard of. Food in European cultures is more about
the experience than anything else, being able to sit down for 3 hours with your
friends and or family and have a leisurely meal is the norm and eating alone is
preposterous.
European culture
has not been as affected by the “efficiency boom” or technology as the United
States and Western culture have, as you can see through the leisurely European
approach to food and work and how they intertwine. Work in Europe is seen as
just that in itself, work, meaning that people in Europe work to support their
family and give themselves the ability to experience leisure, rather than
working to be rich, which is seen so much in Western culture. In Europe, during
the entire month of August, no matter where you are or what profession you are
in, you are on vacation. The way that Europeans view work is that they feel
that if their employees are well rested and have time to relax and recuperate
that the work that they produce will be much better and a much higher quality.
Going along this same line, every day for lunch, European workers get a
two-three hour break for lunch during which they can do anything. The
importance that companies in Europe are placing on scheduled time for leisure
is what is keeping Europe from turning into a more Western based culture. A
blog post claiming “I’d Rather Eat at My Desk” launched a massive discussion, “In response to folks writing wistfully
about some European countries with their long lunches, Larimore pointed out
that, for the working parent, a long lunch is just more time you're not with
your kids. Maybe that's the point (they don't seem to be having many kids in
Europe these days). But many of us like spending our evenings with our
families.”(Vanderkam) For people living in the West in such a goal driven, fast
paced society, the idea of long lunches and leisure, as enjoyed by people in
Europe, is ridiculous because it is impossible in the society that we live in.
With technological
advances changing how the Western society we live in operates, the food
industry has begun to tailor their products and advertisements to this changing
culture, and in doing so are facilitating the fast paced society we have come
to know. As our life becomes more
dependent on these fast-service food restaurants, easily accessible, efficient
food products, the food industry will continue to make more efficient, utility
driven means of food, and the society that we live in will continue to become
exponentially faster paced.
Works Cited
Brox,
Denene. "Fast Food Fast." Quick Fast Food Service Crucial to
Success. QSR. Web. 25 Apr. 2012.
<http://www.qsrmagazine.com/ordering/fast-food-fast?microsite=5>.
Horwitz, Jamie. "Eating at the Edge." University
of California Press. Web. 30 Apr. 2012. <http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1525/gfc.2009.9.3.42
.>.
Vanderkam, Laura. "Should You Eat at Your Desk?" CBSNews.
CBS Interactive, 30 Apr. 2012. Web. 30 Apr. 2012.
<http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500395_162-57423885/should-you-eat-at-your-desk/>.
No comments:
Post a Comment